Sunday, November 30, 2014

Free Art Week and Yarn Bombing!! Dec. 15 - 19

Hello!! I hope everyone had a wonderful and relaxing break - I know I did :)

The families who were here at GLOBE last year may remember how the students "yarn bombed" the school after learning how to finger-knit. Yarn bombing is a fun form of street art (or "guerrilla art") in which the artist covers areas of his or her community in yarn, usually by knitting/crocheting around objects, trees, etc. (The entrance to the Eastside trail of the Belt-line on Monroe Ave. was yarn-bombed recently, and I believe it's still there if you want to take a look!) We had discussed how public art like yarn bombing can impact communities by adding an element of fun (as well as beauty) to areas we typically overlook. Here are some pictures of the students learning to finger-knit, as well as a few areas of the school that we yarn bombed!




Since the students were so excited to learn this technique (and many of them went overboard - I apologize to the families who had to add yarn to their holiday shopping lists at the last minute!), I would like to invite you all to help me and the students yarn bomb the school again this year before Winter Break. And since the 3rd grade Free Art Friday went so well, we will also be creating free artworks in each grade to hide during the last week of school. From December 15 - 19, the school will be filled with small artworks and finger-knit creations from your children!

I do need your help, however: because the students are in the process of finishing up previous projects, we will probably not have enough class time to devote to finger-knitting. If your student would like to participate in the yarn bombing, I ask that they work on the finger-knitting at home. Thanks to many generous donations, I have lots of yarn to let the students take home if they agree to help with this project :) I will also be available after school from 3:00 - 4:30 on Thursday, Dec. 4th & Monday, Dec. 8th for students and families who want to learn and/or finger-knit together. Here is a link to a tutorial that should help you get started!

Ms. Elliott-Earby has requested that the yarn be picked up by the end of school on the 19th, so if any of you would like to help me take everything down from 1:30 - 2:25 on that day, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much, and please let me know if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment